Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Michael Aram and Moving Mayhem!

When I last blogged (which I admit was too long ago!) I let you in on my secret of taking shortcuts when cooking but using great serving pieces! I shared some Arthur Court pieces with you that I loved, and also mentioned one of my other favorite designers - Michael Aram. I think that Michael Aram is less well-known than Arthur Court, however his designs are similarly priced and, in my opinion, just as cool! I discovered Michael Aram as we were registering at Bloomingdale's for the wedding and absolutely fell in love with his Lemonwood collection. Here are some pieces from that collection...

We have this cutting board, and I just love it. It looks even prettier in person!

Couldn't you just see yourself on a beautiful wrap-around front porch pouring friends sweet tea from this fabulous pitcher into...
...these glasses?!

I've also fallen in love with many more of his pieces including the ones below...
Love this cheese board! We registered for it and were blessed enough to receive it, and I use it all the time! When it's not in use, I have it proudly displayed on our shelf... it's too pretty to stick in a cabinet somewhere!
How neat is this wine bottle rest? What a statement piece to put on your counter or wine bar!
How stinkin' cute is this cat bowl? Note that the feet of the bowl are little mice. There is a matching cheese board that's also adorable!
We also have this platter, but you will never believe how much I paid for it! The grand total (including shipping!) was a whopping $7! How did I get such a good deal, you ask?! Gilt Groupe! Read on to find out about this gem of a website!


Much like RueLaLa, the other sample sale site I posted about last post, Gilt Groupe is a site that offers great designer goods at discounted prices. Upcoming sales include Oliver Peoples, Swarovski Jewelry and Marc Jacobs. They also feature Michael Aram from time to time, which is the perfect time to start your own collection! So what are you waiting for? Sign up now by clicking here!

One of my favorite perks to these sample sale sites is that you get credits to spend whenever you share the site with a friend. I would definitely share these great sites regardless of any free credits, but it is nice to get some free money to put towards your purchases. That's how I got that fabulous platter for $7! Gilt Groupe gives you $25 to spend each time one of your friends makes their first purchase. I had one friend buy something, and then found that platter for $32 (originally almost $80... so already a great buy!) It happened to be on a day that Gilt was giving free shipping (which they do from time to time!) so all I had to pay was $7! That's over 90% off!


On a completely different note, Mr. C and I have begun to try and figure out our move with the Navy. While we're not moving for another two and a half months, we're trying to get a head start since Mr. C has his orders already. We've only been at it about two days, and it's already been a huge pain in the butt! The Navy, in true government fashion, has tried to automate things by making everything streamlined through one website. The issue? The website only works on Windows computers, and we are a Mac family! What's a girl to do?! A lot of independent research, that's what! Did you know that there is an entire government memo with how to handle plastic Rubbermaid totes during a move? Yes, there's a plastic tote protocol! Also, you get an extra 500 pounds of weight for professional equipment, including, but not limited to, your astronaut spacesuits. Yes, that is one of the examples that is given. You can't, however, have the movers ship your fish, birds or reptiles, in case you somehow thought that was a good idea! Oh, the joys of the military.

[All images courtesy of MichalAram.com!]

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that you're blogging (It's my latest fascination/obsession--how many people have begun their own blogs. I think it is a fantastic, creative, productive use of time and an efficient way to communicate--many of my qualities meet in one activity. In fact, I want to figure out how to write an academic article/thesis on the blogging trend, but I digress...I'll save that spiel for another time.)! And come on. You can't say you were honestly surprised about the military, right?

    Here's another one of my favorites: When Air Force officers are at ASBC, they cannot receive time off if their wife is in labor, a relative has did, they are in a wedding, or they are getting married. True statement. The question--with those exact stipulations--is on the website. Seriously?

    ReplyDelete